Monday, December 16, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Slow Cook Quinoa, Chicken and Lentil Chili

It seems that I've been on a roll with experimenting in the kitchen, so I figure this might just become a weekly segment. I dug up a half a dozen recipes that I'm dying to try, so I have decided to give one a try each week.

This week's winner (and it was a winner!) was Quinoa and Chicken Chili (and then I decided to add lentils to thicken it up a bit) in the slow cooker. Monday's are my long day at work, and then I hit the gym, so I tasked Nate with giving the chili a few stirs when he got home from work. When I walked in EXHAUSTED at 7:00 tonight the first thing he said to me was "I've been taking licks from the spoon, and this is really, really good." Woohoo! I win! Of all the new recipes I've tried, the hubby said this was his favorite, and he has already requested that it be made again as our Marathon Monday meal.

I kinda borrowed from 3 different chili recipes to put this together...but this is what I did...

2 cans diced tomatos
1 can black beans
1 cup of salsa
1 cup of quinoa
1 cup lentils
1 chicken breast cut up into little pieces (may do it without this next time and make it a meatless Monday meal)
Chili powder and Cumin to taste

Dump in all into the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Thank God for the slow cooker that automatically switches to "heat" when it's done...this meal was sitting in there for 11 hours today before we actually got to eat it.

Just another one of my recipes that looks like mush, but is actually delicious!


On another note, Hanson's Marathon plan starts in 15 days! I'm beginning to get a little bit nervous about running six days a week given that there is already a foot of snow on the road and it's super icy! I've resolved to just see what happens with training this winter and give this plan the best I can give it under the circumstances, knowing that it lends itself to my summer schedule more so than winter. Time shall tell! 



No comments:

Post a Comment