Friday, January 3, 2014

Mission 24: Recipe Numero Uno - Sweet Potato PANCAKES!

Alright, before I tell you all about my first recipe for Mission 24, I'll let you on in a dirty little secret that reveals just how inexperienced I am with cooking. 2014 is the year I turn 30. I may have 9 more months, but I turn 30 this year. And today, in order to make this recipe...I had to make mashed potatoes for the FIRST time. No joke, I actually had to google how to make mashed sweet potatoes (hangs head in shame). Ok, now that that confession is out of the way...here goes...


Look, Ma! I made mashed potatoes for the first time!
And, I LOVE my pampered chef masher! 


Sweet Potato Pancakes: 
Ingredients: 
mashed sweet potato (I used 1 medium sized sweet potato for this)
1 egg 
1 tbsp coconut flour (or any other kind of flour you have)
1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp vanilla 

extra cinnamon to sprinkle on top

Instructions: 

1.) Mash the sweet potato.
2.) When done mashing, take off heat and add in one egg.  If it's too thick to pour into pan, add another egg. 
3. )Stir in remaining ingredients, except cinnamon sprinkle.
4.) fry em up like you would normal pancakes! Add extra cinnamon on the top as you like!

As my kindergarten students would say - "easy peasy lemon squeezy!"


Starting to look like pancakes! But my, oh my, these
smell strongly like French Toast! 
I would suggest making small pancakes, as these do take a bit longer to cook in the middle than typical pancakes. I had the heat on my stove turned all the way up and let them fry for a good ten minutes. These smell (and taste) a bit like French Toast! They were pretty yummy! My first experiment of 2014 went well. These will definitely be made again. And, might I add, for the money-savy cooker, these are an excellent choice! Most people have flour, cinnamon, baking soda and vanilla lying around the house, so at the cost of 1 sweet potato and 1 egg, this recipe costs about $1.50 (if that) per serving!


No syrup or butter needed! These pancakes were sweet
enough! 



4 comments:

  1. YUMMMMM! I will be trying this this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I was thinking you might like these as I was making them!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete