Sunday, December 29, 2013

How Have I NOT Tried This Before!

Ok, so I am most likely a day late and a few dollars short here, but I have been meaning to try spaghetti squash for a while now. I had some big doubts, but a friend (Thanks Lauren!) kept sending me some pretty amazing looking recipes on Pinterest that she swore by, so I decided to give it a try. I shared the recipes with Nate, and he was not buying it, so I decided to do some experimenting at lunch today and leave Nate some left overs from last night's holiday get together.

This experiment did not start out well. Apparently, we do not own a knife that can cut a spaghetti squash in half, so after some maneuvering and almost losing a few fingers, I managed to get the darn thing cut in half...well...kind of.


Not cut in half...oh well...


I was pretty grossed out by the smell and having to clean out the inside seeds/goop. Icky. Not so much a fan...this experiment was not going well...this was already strike two and the darn thing wasn't even in the oven yet.


I put the squash in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, and after about 20 minutes a pretty yummy smelling aroma came from the kitchen. Ok, things are looking up. When I took it out, I was very curious to see how much "spaghetti" a single squash would yield. I started raking away at it. Now, I am pretty easily amused, but this was rather fun. And I couldn't believe that half the squash filled up a bowl this much!

1/2 a Spaghetti Squash! Wow!


I decided to leave the other half for later and added some garlic (I LOVE my new pampered chef garlic press), butter and grated cheese to my bowl. As I was doing this, Nate came in from his workout and began asking questions about my experiment. Without any coercing (yay!) he decided he wanted in, and claimed the other half of the squash as his. He had his with garlic, tomato sauce and cheese.

Even the boy can do it!

We both woofed down our bowls. This was super filling and yummy. I began pulling up some other recipes to try with them, and Nate is totally on board with giving them a try. So, there we have it. I am way late on this one, but now we have another pasta substitute!


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment